Why You Should Consider a Second Opinion
When you are facing difficult medical issues, or need advice regarding treatment options for serious or life-threatening diseases we at Stockholm Care may be able to assist you. Medical experts at Karolinska University Hospital or any of our contracted Care Providers may be able to give you their recommendations on how to proceed and suitable next steps in your case or suggest what could be a suitable treatment based on your current situation. A Second Opinion can bring peace of mind and help you better understand your diagnosis, suitable next steps or your full range of treatment options. The purpose is to make sure that you will receive the care and treatment best suited for your needs and situation.
When requesting a Second Opinion you will be assigned a personal Customer Service Manager at Stockholm Care. The Costumer Service Manager will be your contact person and will assist you throughout the entire process.
Two types of Second Opinion
Usually there are two types of second opinion – Medical Second Opinion and Multidisciplinary Team Opinion. In some medical areas, only one of the two types will be available. Your Customer Service Manager will inform you what your options are based on your current situation and the specific questions you would like to get answered.
1. Medical Second Opinion:
- A Senior consultant will review your case based on written submitted medical documentation (no review of radiology images) describing your current medical condition that you wish to discuss in terms of work-up, treatment or follow-up. It is of utmost importance that you clearly specify what questions you would like to get answered.
- Based on the review the Senior consultant will issue a written medical report in English, including recommendations on how to proceed in your case and proposed next steps. For our consultant to provide you with the most accurate answer and recommendation, the quality of your submitted medical documentation is of utmost importance.
- A Customer Service Manager will contact you with further details regarding what and how to submit medical documentation. The lead time from completed request to delivery of written medical report varies.
2. Multidisciplinary Team Opinion (including review of radiology images):
- A Senior consultant will together with a multidisciplinary team of medical professionals review your case. The review will be based on written submitted medical documentation (including radiology images) describing your current medical condition and your specified request in terms of work-up, treatment or follow-up. It is of utmost importance that you clearly specify your questions and expectations.
- Based on the team review the senior consultant will issue a written medical report in English, including how the multidisciplinary team at Karolinska University Hospital or other care provider would recommend to proceed in your case and proposed next steps.
- Review of images is in most cases crucial for our medical experts to deliver a high quality medical report and recommendation for how to proceed. When processing and reviewing radiology images, this requires extra time and includes experts from several areas (i.e. multidisciplinary).
- A Customer Service Manager will contact you with further details regarding what and how to submit medical documentation including images. The quality of your submitted medical documentation is of utmost importance. The lead time from completed request to delivery of written medical report varies.
There are several ways to be referred for planned specialist and highly specialized care with care providers in the Stockholm area:
Self-Referral by Patients and Relatives
You can refer yourself as a Self-Referrer by filling in our Application Form. In this case, we would require a brief and updated medical history – preferably by a treating physician – including any relevant test and lab results. You also have to provide us with details of how you intend to finance your requested medical treatment.
Direct Referral by Professionals
Alternatively, a Direct Referral by Professionals could be done. A direct referral will only be valid if your treating hospital, your Public Health Authority or your private insurance company send a referral letter and all relevant medical documentation directly to Stockholm Care. One of our Customer Service Mangers will then make sure that the referral will be taken care of and get to the most appropriate care provider in the Stockholm area based on your needs. To refer a patient or discuss a case with a Customer Service Manager, please click here >>
Our step-by-step guide explaining the self-referral process for a Second Opinion
1. Fill in our application form to start the process
To apply for a second opinion, please complete the Online Application Form and specify your condition and request in English or Swedish. Please also clearly specify the questions that you would like to get answered.
2. We take care of your request and perform a medical assessment
A Customer Service Manager will confirm your application within a few days and keep you informed about the progress of your application. If needed the Customer Service Manager will contact you to clarify any outstanding matters or ask you to complement your application.
3. Send us your medical documentation and receive an estimated costs
If the requested second opinion can be offered, as a next step we will ask you to provide us with relevant medical documentation and inform you about the estimated cost.
4. Arrange the finances and get your confirmation
After you and/or your sponsor have confirmed our offer and payment has been confirmed the second opinion will be scheduled and confirmed by the Customer Service Manager.
5. You receive your medical report
When the second opinion is completed we will send a medical report in English and a final invoice of the total cost. If the final cost is lower than estimated cost we will reimburse the surplus amount paid in advance, and if the final cost is higher than estimated we will require an additional payment.
6. Deduction of treatment cost
If you with reference to the recommendations given to you in the medical report decide to undergo treatment or perform other medical services at one of our care providers in the Stockholm region, we will in many cases be able to offer you a discount on the treatment cost. The discount will be decided with reference to the amount paid for the second opinion. The discount could account for as much as 50 % of the cost paid for the second opinion. The Customer Service Manager will give you more information.