Heart and Vascular
In the specialty area of Heart and Vascular, we primarily work with the Karolinska University Hospital. Karolinska University Hospital provides world-class heart and vascular hospital care for adult patients, including cardiology, vascular surgery and cardiac surgery. For pediatric heart and vascular services please see – pediatric. It provides highly qualified care for patients from outside Sweden with following medical conditions and diagnosis:
- Heart Failure and Congenital Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease and Valvular Heart Disease
- Vascular Disease
The adult heart and vascular unit is located in a brand new hospital building that offers single room care with the latest medical facilities. An integrated and competent team of healthcare professions are welcoming patients requiring highly specialized cardiovascular care.
The quality of the cardiovascular care at Karolinska University Hospital is of primary importance and is closely monitored through internal review and national registries. Karolinska University Hospital has for example the lowest mortality in cardiac surgery in Sweden, the highest quality index of ischemic heart disease care and has the largest electrophysiological and vascular surgery activities in Sweden.
Stockholm Care, in close collaboration with the heart and vascular theme at Karolinska University Hospital, offer the following interventions and treatments to adult patients from abroad:
- Endovascular or open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms, thoracic aortic aneurysms and thoracoabdominal aneurysms, including fenestrated and branched stent grafts
- Endovascular and open surgical treatments for peripheral arterial disease and gangrene of the limbs
- Endovascular and open surgical treatments for mesenteric and renovascular disease
- Endovascular and open surgical reconstruction for deep vein occlusions
- Surgical and endovascular treatment of carotid, vertebral and aortic arch (great) vessel disease
- Minimally invasive mitral valve repair and aortic valve replacement
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) for patients with Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH) – an operation that removes organized clotted blood from the pulmonary arteries
- Arterial revascularization
- Complex aortic root surgery
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) is a procedure to repair the heart valve, involving inserting an artificial heart valve inside the narrowed aortic valve using a catheter.
- A procedure for treating mitral regurgitation where the mitral valve is repaired percutaneously (under the skin) via the groin using a transcatheter (thin flexible tube).
- CRT, ICD and electrode extractions
- For patients with heart failure and arrhythmia, medical devices such as a pacemaker and implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) can help patients with arrhythmia. Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) includes implanting a pacemaker, usually below the collarbone.
- LAA – Closures
- Preventing risk of developing clots in the left atrial appendage (LAA), through a procedure to seal off the LAA. The procedure reduces risk of stroke and eliminates the need for blood-thinning medication.
- Advanced VT- ablations
Ablation of ventricular tachycardia by removing the areas of the heart containing erratic electrical signals potentially causing the heart to beat ineffectively.